We are going through a crisis right now. There’s no denying the fact that 2020 isn’t the best year to go send your kids outside (or go out yourself) without a face mask.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t plan fun activities for your children in the risk-free days to come.
You certainly can. And there’s no reason you cannot start now.
For this reason, we are here with a review of the best rope for tree swing. Let’s take a ride together to help plan something fun for your children.
Our primary focus for today’s review on the best rope for rope swing will be your children.
First, we will shed some light on the tire swing rope options for 2020. Then, we will move on to the in-depth choices for the ropes for swings.
Of course, we will try our level best to offer an unbiased look on the rope for tree swings. We’ll leave the rest to you.
An Introduction to Our Tree Swing Choices for 2020
We welcome you to the very first section of our best rope for outdoor swing. As mentioned earlier, we will be focusing our efforts on kids.
For this reason, we took it upon ourselves to find the 5 best tree swings.
In order to get the best value for your earnings, it’s probably best to have some sort of knowledge about the products themselves.
And that’s what we will be trying to share today.
Although we will not be sharing every nitty-gritty detail, we will be trying to offer the most relevant information. It should be more than enough to help you out.
Tree Swings of Choice
Royal Oak Giant 40 Inch Flying Saucer Tree Swing
When it comes to the best rope for tree swing, Royal Oak is a brand you cannot ignore by any means. It’s one of the reasons why we have the Flying Saucer Tree Swing from Royal Oak at the top spot.
In terms of the build quality, there’s no major complaint to report. The whole structure along with its steel reinforcements feels very robust. And the typical playful design complements the whole package as well.
Another important thing to mention is the ease of installation, which is often a rare little feature. But once you factor this feature in with weather-resistant material, then you have a solid option at hand.
So, the major takeaways here about the Royal Oak Saucer Swing are:
- Robust Build Quality.
- Easy Installation.
- Heavy-duty fabric choice.
SUPER DEAL 40″ Waterproof Saucer Tree Swing Set
The SUPER DEAL 40-inch Waterproof Saucer Tree Swing shares a lot of the features with our top-rated tree swing choice.
The only caveat is the low weight capacity. Still, 400+ pounds should be more than enough for the average user.
If you factor in all the features and weigh them together, you have a solid choice at hand.
- Good quality material.
- Solid water and UV protection.
- Hassle-free installation.
SUPER DEAL 40” Spider Web Tree Swing Net Swing
Next up we have the Tree Swing (Net Swing) from the same makers, Super Deal.
When it comes to the design language, then we would say that it’s got some extra flair. The subtle color along with a more-than-standard build makes it a really solid choice. And the weight capacity is very competitive as well.
However, the netting may not be as comfortable as you may think. Still, for a unique option, you get:
- Safe and solid netting.
- Strong structure.
- Proper ease while installing the swing.
Flying Squirrel Giant Rope Swing – 40″ Saucer Tree Swing
The Flying Squirrel Giant Rope Swing comes with the lowest weight capacity rating of the bunch. And you may see it as a disadvantage.
But we would suggest that you look at the overall feature set to come to a final judgment. It’s got all the standard features you can ask for. And if you look at the competitive pricing, then you will certainly have a change of heart.
In order to help with changing your mind, here are the things you can expect from the Flying Squirrel Rope Swing:
- Decent pricing.
- Quality swing material.
- A good playset addition.
Juegoal 40 Inch Saucer Tree Swing
Last but not the least, we have the Juegoal 40-inch Saucer Tree Swing.
It’s pretty much the standard budget option that many of you will take into consideration. Clearly, it’s not the best option there available.
But you are getting a more robust material choice with the Juegoal. It’s one of the noteworthy features of this tree swing rope.
Other than that, you are getting:
- Good design structure.
- Proper UV resistance.
Now you know what each option has to offer. A quick comparison should help you out even further.
Top 5 Tree Swings for 2020 and Beyond-A Comparison of the Popular Choices
|Products||Weight Capacity||Swing Material|
|Royal Oak Giant 40 Inch Flying Saucer Tree Swing||700-lbs.||600D Oxford Fabric|
|SUPER DEAL 40″ Waterproof Saucer Tree Swing Set||440-lbs.||600D Oxford Fabric|
|SUPER DEAL 40” Spider Web Tree Swing Net Swing||660-lbs.||Polypropylene rope netting|
|Flying Squirrel Giant Rope Swing – 40″ Saucer Tree Swing||200-lbs.||Oxford Fabric|
|Juegoal 40 Inch Saucer Tree Swing||440-lbs.||900D Oxford Fabric|
The 7-Best Rope for Tree Swing-Popular Choices for the Future
- A twisted rope with a tan outlook.
- A 3-strand polypropylene rope with a length of 25-feet.
- Proper resistance to moisture, UV rays, and chemical constituents.
- 1/-2inch Diameter (other options are available).
If you’re in the market for the best rope for swings, then you may want to look at the ProManila Rope first.
In terms of strength, we think it’s a solid option overall. Although we are featuring a 25-feet option here, you have a variety of options to choose from. They do offer 600-feet lengths if you ever need something for industrial workloads.
One of the standout features of the ProManila rope is its resistance to abrasion and rough weather conditions. The Polypro fibers are the reason behind it. And it’s also a reason for the rope to be lightweight in contrast to other options out there.
So, if the happiness of your children is your only priority, then we believe hanging a swing from a tree with this rope should pose no problems.
In conclusion, all we have to say is this:
You may think that we are overselling this product despite the melting problem with the ends. But the truth is, the balance of performance you’re getting for the price is not easy to find.
We would recommend you take a good look at all the features before making a purchase decision. Make sure not to miss out on anything.
- Tree pulling
- Cargo handling
- home applications
- It’s a stretchable rope with appropriate tensile strength.
- The shock absorption capabilities are solid.
- The 25-feet rope is lightweight and comes with good shock resistance.
- There’s very little kick due to the fine rope structure.
- It’s affordable in contrast to other relevant options out there.
- It’s a solid choice for both diy projects and construction works (both indoor and outdoor tasks).
- Melting the ends of the rope can be tricky.
Polyester Arborist Climbing Rope
- A blue and orange color profile.
- Available from 100-feet to 250-feet lengths.
- Fashions an 8000-lbs. tensile strength.
- Stretchability is minimal.
- Proper knot retention.
The Polyester Arborist Climbing Rope comes with a lot of solid features on the table. Otherwise, why would it be a contender in this review for the best rope for tree swing?
Apart from having a very playful color profile, this rope fashions an 8000-lbs. strength capacity. With a capacity like this, you have the capability to play around various tree swing ideas. Also, safety will not be a concern because of the weight taking capacity.
So, who should buy this rope?
Well, if you want to use it with a tree swing, then you can go for it with your eyes closed. And if you want a tree rigging rope, then you could go for it as well.
But we would advise you to keep something extra at hand. After all, you’re the one making the tree swing rope purchase decision.
- Tree rigging and pulling
- Cargo handling
- The rope, due to its color profile, boasts high distinguishability (it’s more visible!)
- The tensile strength is on point.
- The rope handles like a charm.
- Knot retention is a standout feature.
- It’s a solid choice for climbing and establishing a tree swing structure.
- It does wear quicker than other available options.
Arborist Bull Rope White Blue
- Arborist Bull Rope features a ¾-inch radius.
- A white and blue color scheme for visibility.
- A 24-strand variant.
- Features 12-carriers.
- 2000-lbs. force wielding capacity.
- There’s no noticeable stretch.
- Knot retention is fair in contrast to other options.
The Arborist Bull Rope with a White Blue color scheme is easily the strongest contender in our review for the best rope for tree swing. Here’s why:
For starters, you are looking at one of the strongest ropes for tree swing strap. But you could also use it for heavy home-rigging jobs if you wanted to of course. The strength allows it to handle heavy workloads with ease.
As an Arborist rope, it’s shouldn’t have any noticeable stretch to it. And we found it to be accurate with this rope. Also, good knot retention is also among the notable feature list.
So, should you buy this for your tree swing rope kit?
At this point, we don’t see any major issues except the lack of grip. But if you inspect the features further, then you will know if it’s the best option for you.
- Home tree swing
- Cargo pulling
- Boat and fishing applications
- The rope handles like a charm.
- The tensile strength metric is one of the best you’ll find in the market.
- Rigging a tree swing with this rope is simple.
- It’s also suitable for other relevant diy tasks.
- Although the handling is good, there is a noticeable amount of slip to the surface.
Blue Ox Rope Arborist Climbing Rope
- A 12-strand climbing rope.
- Comes in at a 150-feet
- A radius of ½-inches.
- The standard 8000-lbs. tensile strength rating.
- Resistant to wear and tear.
- Good flexibility and knot retention.
The Blue Ox Rope Arborist Climbing rope is a wild card in our best rope for tree swing review. Granted, there are other potent options out there that may be enough for you.
But the features you are getting with this climbing rope for tree swing are by no means unworthy. As a matter of fact, if you look closely enough, you will find it to be a solid choice.
It is a 12-strand rope, which is a decent metric for a tree swing. Pair that with solid weight capacity, and you have a proper rope for both tree-climbing and tree swing.
Also, you cannot forget the wear and tear resistance, which is also on point in contrast to other options.
All in all, this rope performs admirably thanks to its overall feature set. Although there isn’t an option with different diameters, we think for regular use, the user will face no problem whatsoever.
- Household applications
- Home tree swing
- The handling overall is decent.
- The resistance to twisting and other forms of tear is commendable.
- It holds out nicely with tasks like tree swing structuring and other diy projects.
- The blue and white color scheme offers decent visibility.
- The diameter may be a bit small for super heavy workloads.
Ravenox Natural Twisted Cotton Rope
- A tri-strand cotton rope with no added chemicals.
- Available in a wide variety of diameters and lengths.
- Resistant to wear and tear
- UV and fungus resistant
- Cotton material is biodegradable
The Natural Cotton Rope from Ravenox can be a decent choice if you want something to take the weight of your tree swing seat.
Other than all the regular features, the natural structure of this rope is what stands out the most.
There are no chemical additives involved in the making process. For this reason, it’s one of the very few options which is suitable to use with your four-legged friends.
Furthermore, due to the natural build, it’s also suitable for biodegradation after use. Also, the wear and tear resistance of this twisted cotton rope deserves kudos as well.
All in all, the overall features of this best rope for tree swing contender are proper enough for the regular user. You pretty much get all the standard features you can hope for. So, despite the bulkiness of the rope ends, we would recommend that you take a closer look at this thick rope for tree swing.
- Tree rigging and pulling
- Home tree swing
- Cargo pulling and handling
- The standard tensile strength is suitable for medium to medium-heavy workloads.
- It’s available in a wide variety of colors, which is nice.
- The rope offers a hassle-free experience.
- The organic nature of it makes it suitable for use with animals.
- The ends may feel bulky (it will depend on the user of course).
SGT KNOTS Manila Rope
- Featuring the ½-inch, 10-feet variant.
- Available with a 3-inch diameter and a max length of 1200-feet.
- tan/brown rope comes
- Solid 3-strand construction.
- An ideal choice for tree swings and diy crafts.
- proper oil treatment, ensuring optimal usability.
Manila ropes are very popular ropes for a swing for tree branch. And SGT KNOTS are the makers of some of the finest.
The option we have here is a triple-strand option, plenty for a long rope swing. But if you wanted something more robust, then different varietals are available as well.
One of the key features of this particular option is an oil treatment, which is quite unorthodox for a tree swing rope. But such a treatment ensures that the weight holding capacity is optimal.
In short, it’s simply done to increase the usability factor, making it a solid contender for the best tree swing rope.
Overall, if you don’t have any need for visibility, then we believe the Manila Rope from SGT KNOTS should be enough for your woodworking and crafting needs.
- Tree swing
- Small industrial work
- Cargo handling
- It’s a good rope with decent tensile strength.
- The natural construction along with its oil treatment offers proper usability.
- Stretch-ability is low, which is nice.
- A good choice for small-scale applications, both indoors and outdoors.
- There’s no discernable visibility due to the rope’s color profile.
Poly Dacron Rope
- Poly Dacron rope features a 3-strand twist
- Features a Polyolefin Core.
- A 25-feet option with a ½-inch diameter.
- Suitable for rope swing structuring.
- Features a 17000-lbs. tensile strength
- No noticeable wear and tear.
- It’s resistant to UV damage.
- Resistant to chemical manipulation.
The final option in this best rope for tree swing review is the Poly Dacron Rope. We have quite a few reasons to keep this rope in our top picks.
The first reason is 17000-lbs. weight holding capacity. For this reason, we can safely say that this rope for tree swing is suitable for multiple applications. As a matter of fact, you can easily get away with medium-heavy workloads.
Other than that, it’s worth mentioning that this rope comes with robust resistance to wear and tear. Also, long-term usability is also among one of its noteworthy features.
Overall, if you deal with medium workloads apart from having a tree swing on a daily basis, then the Poly Dacron rope is the right choice for you. If you don’t care about visibility, then you should certainly inquire about it further.
- Tree swing and pulling
- Medium industrial applications
- Cargo handling and boat fishing
- It’s a decent rope with a robust strength rating.
- It handles well in contrast to the other options out there.
- The weather resistance is appropriate.
- It’s suitable for various indoor and outdoor applications including tree swings.
- If visibility is a concern to you, then you may be disappointed.
Although the options for you have specific use cases, there’s no need to think you cannot use them for other applications. As a matter of fact, you could probably make a lot of adjustments by yourself. Also, it is possible you will find more suitable use cases.
How to Get the Best Rope for Tree Swing: Choosing the Right Option
You’ve seen the options we have for you in this review for the best rope for tree swing.
Granted, none of the options aren’t flawless. They have some drawbacks. But you need to be ready to make some sacrifices.
Because let’s face it, there’s nothing unmixed in this world.
So, the simplest way to land on the right product is to know what your preference is. In order to do that, you need to know what qualities the best tree swing rope have:
The first thing you need to know is the weight capacity. The swing ropes for trees we have all have different capacities. But, in general, the 8000-lbs. capacity is the standard.
If you want to go lower than that, then there are other options available. Still, when it comes to the best rope for outdoor swing, you may want to consider your options wisely.
Resistance to Wear and Tear
Superior wear and tear resistance are a must for any rope, especially the one you’re going to use for a tree swing.
Resistance to rough weather conditions, UV rays, and chemical constituents is a must. A high resistance will ensure that the rope lasts longer. It’s a measure of safety as well. Because less wear and tear simmers down to better safety for your children.
Knot Retention and Stretch
If a rope doesn’t have accurate knot retention and low-stretch capabilities, then you should probably steer clear of those tire swing rope options.
You’re going to need proper knot retention if you don’t want any accidents. Also, if there’s too much stretch on the rope, then the swing may be unstable. In both scenarios, an accident is inevitable.
Among other crucial features, visibility comes to mind. Although it’s not an essential feature, you could use a visible rope for other purposes. So, if you need such an option, we have the choices for you.
Brand value is always an important factor. You cannot go wrong with a good brand. Their products, if taken proper care, will last longer than other options. Also, they tend to be safer than your average long rope swing choices.
However, if budget is a concern, then you’d perhaps want to get a second opinion from other users. But, for tree swing ropes, we would recommend you go for the best choices.
After all, safety comes first.
Making A Tree Swing: A Step-by-step Guide for Beginners
This part will introduce the basic steps of building a diy tree swing. But before we get started, there is one thing we like to point out though:
It’s more of an introductory approach than an in-depth guide. We will be going through with the bare minimum instructions.
Still, the information we will share with you will certainly come in handy. In fact, you will probably be able to understand most of the details.
Tools list: Things you’ll need
Here is a list of tools you’ll need for the job.
Know-how of carpentry
You need to have some understanding of the tools and techniques of carpentry. If you know the basics and have some experience, then you can make it work.
- An electric saw
- Power screwdriver
- Drill with a variety of bits
The other tools you’ll need are:
- Rope and fasteners
- Wood rasp and preservative
Steps to Follow
In order to make your own tree swing, you’ll need to follow the steps mentioned below. Of course, the overall approach is up to you:
- Choose a tree with good strong branches. Make sure the thickness of the branch is more than 8-inches.
- The height of the limb will determine how long the pendulum motion will be. In general, 10-15 feet should be enough.
- Now you want to start building the seat. If you go with 10 to12-inch deep narrow boards with a width of 14/16 inches, then there should be more then enough room for children. You could also go with custom measurements if you want.
- Now you have to fasten the cleats to the seat:
- Place the seat boards on a flat surface
- Face the cut edges on each other’s face
- Place cardboard spacers between the slots of the board
- Spread the glue and place the cleats
- Drill through the cleats and boards to mount the screws
- Place the screws in the surface and tighten them accordingly.
- It’s time to drill the rope holes:
- Make marks on the wood 1.5-inches from the ends
- Now you have to drill four holes at each of the four markings
- Round and smooth the edges with wood rasp and sandpaper
- Coat the wood with preservative coating.
- Now comes the part where you attach the rope and make slings. The rope slings need to be strong enough to hold your child’s weight.
- The simplest way to attach the tree limb to the swing is to toss them over the branch and use bowline knots for reinforcement.
- Now comes the time to adjust the rope swing. You’d want to take your time with this step. Because above everything else, a safe landing takes priority. In general, we would recommend you keep the distance from the ground to 11/13 inches.
We know, the steps do seem a bit fuzzy. In order to understand them properly, you will need some experience with carpentry.
But we did offer some insight on a few tree swing choices. It’s probably the easiest way to get rid of some extra work.
Q: What’s the deal with a poly-supreme rope?
Ans.: Poly-supreme ropes have good resistance to wear and tear. Also, they are both lightweight with very little stretching capabilities. Furthermore, retaining knots is one of their strong suits.
For this reason, a poly-supreme rope is often the best rope for tree swing. But, in all fairness, your workload will be the key determiner of course.
Q: What should be the ideal branch characteristics for a tree swing?
Ans.: In general, you need to look for a strong branch with a diameter of at least 8-inches. Anything below that isn’t strong enough to retain enough weight.
Also, tree health is a major concern as well. If you observe dead branches or excessive scratching, then you may want to look into that. Looking for an alternate tree is probably the best course of action here.
You would probably want to look into that.
Q: What should be the length of a tree swing rope?
Ans.: Depending on the situation, the length requirements are different. However, it’s common practice to have at least 36-feet of rope at hand. You’ll need 18-feet for both ends.
Q: Is braided rope easier to splice?
Ans.: If you compare it against twisted ropes, then a braided rope is not easy to splice. But twisted ropes are difficult to handle in contrast to braided choices. So, the choice will depend on your usability.
Q: How good is a synthetic rope in comparison to a steel cable?
Ans.: Synthetic ropes are safer than steel cables because of their low potential storage capabilities. And the strength levels are close to steel cables as well.
Thanks for taking the time to go through the best rope for tree swing review.
We did cover a lot of information. But we cannot expect you to take all the information it at once.
What we will expect, however, is that you take the necessary pointers in your head. Information is taken in shorter forms like this often goes a long way.
We are all hoping to start a normal life soon.
So, it shouldn’t hurt to prepare for the children to go outside and have some fun. A rope swing, we believe is an ideal preparative measure here.
Cheers! We hope to see you next time.