7 Best Felling Wedges (May 2020) – Reviews & Buying Guide
Making a skyscraper tree fall on the ground might seem tough for a man. But let us assure you, once you’ve got the right tool(s) in hand, it’s just a few strokes away.
That brings us straight to the little piece of a magnificent invention called the ‘Felling wedges’. Combined with the right felling axe, you don’t have to go tooth and nail to ride on even the tallest tree in the forest.
Well, enough of being a fancy Bloodaxe(google it). Let’s kick some reality now.
In practice, it’s not an easy nut to crack when you’re up to find the best felling wedge within a budget. Dozens of brands are offering hundreds of wood cutting wedges on your plate. And needless to say, those lucrative ads are one hell of distractions.
If this drives you crazy, you’ve landed on the right page, my friend. We’ve cherry-picked 7 of the top-rated felling wedges for you. And considering both sides of the coin, you’re certainly going to pick up your best fit right away.
7 Best Felling Wedges Reviews
After going through the quick comparison, let’s check out the details. Covering the essential points, the elaboration will help you to understand each of the tree wedges properly. Therefore, you can easily customize the options to pick the ultimate one.
1. Timber Savage Felling Wedge
- Polycarbonate built, high resistance to impact & load.
- Wedge size measures 5.5″, good for small to medium trees.
- It’s only 90gm in weight and quite high portability.
- Barbed side against smooth one, great kerf holding.
No more problems with cutting/falling smaller trees, thanks to Timber Savage. In fact, the doubly tapered wedge is the ideal option to take down small to medium trees.
It’s one of the best plastic felling wedges to ensure high visibility through the bright orange exterior. And one barbed side against the smooth side delivers maximum efficiency in operation.
The high-impact body with solid polycarbonate built remains stable under heavy load. Although it weighs only 90gm, the highly portable wedge won’t break down easily.
The Premium Gator lets you make a safe tree felling in the woods. Despite its small size, the sufficient thickness holds good to accomplish the task.
The pack includes additional guiding wedges that enable you to direct the falling tree. In addition, the 5.5″ wedge also prevents the tree weight from pinching the chainsaw bar.
- Compact design with small size.
- Easy & directed felling of trees.
- Superb stability under high load.
- Easy carriage with a light frame.
- Precise tasking, great visibility.
- Somewhat limited durability.
- Not exactly for larger trees.
Why Should You Buy This?
It’s a simple yet highly efficient gear for the job within an affordable budget. For the price, it’s reasonable enough against the valued service among the competitors.
2. Stihl Felling Wedge
- Unique dual-lined tapering maintains a sticky grip.
- Convenient 7.5″ wedge size, takes down medium-large trees.
- Solid plastic construction with an incredibly lightweight frame.
- The light & bright orange surface is quite easy to spot.
First of all, it offers reliable functionality & therefore, bucking & felling becomes an easy job. In fact, Stihl introduces one high-quality, incredibly effective 0000 893 6802 felling wedge.
Stihl offers lots of high-end woodworking tools & this is no exception. It provides a valued performance from top to bottom in terms of service.
Although the wedge features lightweight plastic, it gives no compromise with serviceability. It weighs a mere 22gm only. You’ll require special attention to feel its presence.
It delivers a comfortable & sticky grip through 2 tapered lines on one side. And the width measures a convenient 3″ to provide almost 3-inch lifting/wedging.
Likewise, it features bright orange surfaces that allow easy spotting with enhanced visibility. Unless you’re up to splitting wood, the 7.5″ wedge is okay for medium to large trees.
- Excellent lifting/wedging ability.
- Tough built for high durability.
- Operation remains easy & simple.
- Incredibly light, great portability.
- Not that suitable for small trees.
Why Should You Buy This?
Superb efficiency in cutting larger trees makes it a favorite choice among lumberjacks. You can definitely consider its excellent quality to price ratio for the best budget wedges.
3. Husqvarna Felling Wedge
- A complete set of 3 wedges, each has a different size.
- Built-in wedge spike to withstand further pressure.
- Plastic body to handle high temperature, extreme weather.
- Noticeable outlook with a bright orange surface.
Designed specifically to guide a falling tree, this felling wedge ensures maximum efficiency. And coming from well-recognized Husqvarna, the wedge set eases your target performance.
There are 3 wedges of different sizes for adding more value to its purchase. Not to mention, the set features wedges having 5.5″, 8.0″ & 10.0″ size.
Whether it’s small, medium or large – you can comfortably take down anything. The set has highly resisting ABS thermoplastic wedges to deliver an enduring performance.
Integrated spike allows you to create more pressure & force to tackle accidental back fall. The wedge set certainly prevents tree weight from pinching the saw accessories.
The best part is each one weighs incredibly low that lets you enjoy a comfortably light carries and its bright orange outlook to helps enhanced visibility.
- Quality plastic, superb longevity.
- Varied size for included wedges.
- Comforting grip for full control.
- Lightweight built eases carriage.
- No holding pouch is available.
Why Should You Buy This?
The featured wedges are functional enough to handle any situation. Though its price seems to stand on the expensive side, the set is worth your investment.
4. Felled Spiked Tree Felling Wedges
- Proper felling guidance for a precise log splitting.
- Higher lifting capability to ease the felling operation.
- Enduring ABS plastic built with superb longevity.
- Spike inclusions, further stability for kerf holding.
It’s one decent set of functional wedges to offer an enticing deal for lumberjacks. All the 4 wedges by Felled guarantees to meet your satisfaction.
You’ll require no special effort to spot the best tree felling wedges with its visible orange surface. Thanks to its effective built, it’s small 5.5″ size takes down small to medium trees.
The high-quality ABS plastic frame promises to induce long-lasting serviceability. The pro-grade material ensures sufficient stability withstanding temperature & weather.
There come 12 integrated spikes to enable a solid & rather sturdy grip. Although the quality remains questionable here, it barely affects the overall performance.
The log splitting system keeps yourself safe while letting you enjoy full control. It’s even soft enough to cause no damaging issue with your chainsaw accessories.
- Durable, strong ABS plastic body.
- High visibility from a far distance.
- Usable set comes with 4 wedges.
- Directional guiding functionality.
- Not suitable for smaller trees.
Why Should You Buy This?
Entering into the kerf quickly, it saves your time with a faster falling. Although spike quality isn’t up to the mark, the valued price ensures supreme serviceability.
5. Redneck Convent Wedges
- Heavy-duty & reliable plastic, a durable wedge.
- Functional 10″ size to take down larger trees.
- Excellent visibility with light green appearance.
- Lightweight & compact design, good portability.
This wedge will obviously ease the felling job for your entire crew. From Redneck Convent, the 10″ unit ensures maximum efficiency for rugged, tougher tasks.
It’s sturdy ABS plastic body remains durable over the course of time. Whether its extreme weather conditions or abnormal temperature, the wedge stands to serve.
Designed to fit inside the wedge pouch, the tool can withstand heavy loads. It’s able to take down medium to large trees without much hassle/effort.
For the 2-unit pack, each one features 9 angular spikes for a sticky holding. Allowing you to provide sufficient pressure, it prevents accidental back felling.
No pinching occurs & therefore, all the cutting accessories remain safe. The logging wedges create the necessary mechanical force to direct the falling tree.
- Long-lasting service with solid built.
- Quite high load-bearing capability.
- Simple usage, sticky spiked holding.
- Optimum safety against back falls.
- Slight difficulty with larger trees.
Why Should You Buy This?
It’s indeed one reliable tool to accomplish a safe, rather easy tree felling job. The valued service is available at a reasonably affordable price tag.
6. Gator Wedge
- One complete set, varying size for included wedges.
- Sturdy polycarbonate framework, good tree stability.
- High resistance to impact, weather & temperature.
- Dual-tapered sides feature patterned angular spikes.
The particular wedge set covers the full range of trees sizes on site. In fact, Gator Wedge introduces a complete set featuring 3 particular wedges for the job.
Not to mention, it’s basically a convenient alternative to the aforementioned Husqvarna set. Likewise, the pack contains wedges of different sizes – 5.5″, 8.0″ & 10.0″.
Thanks to its polycarbonate built, nothing to worry about regarding durability. The tool easily handles massive load & thus, promises to induce long-lasting reliability.
Unlike bright orange wedges, the surface comes with a unique reddish-orange appeal. Through a strict 1″ heel, the felling wedge set lets you handle even larger trees comfortably.
One surface side remains smooth whereas the opposite side has serrated barbs. You’ll get a solid grip using the 9 angular spikes in a definite pattern.
- Premium quality for rugged design.
- Steady holding, quite easy handling.
- Higher visibility with unique appeal.
- Superb protection against pinching.
- Somewhat heavier in weight.
Why Should You Buy This?
Despite being heavier than others, each unit still delivers good portability. Even the logging supply comes at a suitable price to meet your budget & need.
7. Parts 4 Outdoor Wedge
- Superior stability against heavy compression load.
- Durable plastic constriction undergoes crack/breakage.
- Patterned angular spikes for excellent kerf holding.
- Bright yellowish surface to spot felling marks easily.
Developed for precise bucking & felling tasks, it induces professional satisfaction. The 4-pieced set by Parts 4 Outdoor features everything you need on the job.
The best feature comes with its construction. It’s ABS plastic built promises optimum durability. Also, the frame can easily withstand the heavy pressure from falling trees.
Its unparalleled quality can resist destructive impact, temperature & weather quite well. Each 5.5″ wedge of the bundle remains impossible to break or crack.
Obviously, it resists pinching while the tree falls in the intended direction. The wedge remains visible with its bright yellowish appeal, even in low light conditions.
There come 12 angular spikes in a 4 rows x 3 columns arrangement. Thanks to the barbed surface, the woodcutting wedge remains in position inside the kerf.
- High efficiency over simple built.
- Superior load-carrying capability.
- Great longevity with ABS plastic.
- Lightweight frame, easy carriage.
- Quite unsuitable for large trees.
Why Should You Buy This?
This fast handling tool will definitely add more value to your wedging holster. It even imparts a good balance between the cost & serviceability for your consideration.
How to Choose the Correct Felling Wedge
Although the construction is simple, the wedge has a major role to play in felling jobs. And without the right wedges, the entire task becomes dangerous for the crews.
That’s exactly where you need to have the best felling wedges for chainsaw in hand. But you know there are some factors that require careful attention while buying a tree felling wedges.
Almost all the standard felling wedges feature ABS plastic body. Not only it imparts sufficient stability but it also delivers a soft contacting point. Meanwhile, plastic wedges having metalheads offer better safety which is rather expensive.
Wedge placement follows the same path of chainsaw cuts. With polymers, you can attain safer cuts even if any accidental contact appears. But wood, steel or aluminum can seriously damage the saw teeth upon touchup.
Coming to size, you’ll get several varieties in the market. The most common sizes, preferred by lumberjacks measure 5.5″, 8″, 10″, 12″, 15″ or 20″ length. And a longer wedge can definitely provide increased mechanical advantage.
One notable point is the limited usability of 5.5″ sized wedges. It’s more like bucking wedges rather than a felling one. In fact, no specified size is perfect to complete the entire task. Rather, for a complete felling, you’ll require a combo of different sized wedges.
Spike & Tapering
The presence of multiple spikes is a modern feature of functional wedges. The number of spikes widely varies; but 9, 10 & 12 are mostly preferred. Having an angled surface, the tiny spikes trigger an intact grip engaging the wood.
Taper simply refers to the surface slope. With felling edges, you can get single & double tapering. And doubly tapered wedge has slopes on both sides whereas singly tapering features a one-sided slope. You can even attend triple tapering which starts the slope about halfway.
Lots of dense grass cover the forest floor. Dark colors remain mostly difficult to find there. That’s why manufacturers provide light but bright colors for exterior surfaces.
You can easily find the wedge if it falls on the ground, without wasting time. It’ll even let you understand the cuts from a reasonable distance.
How to Use Felling Wedge
Wedging directly controls the direction of falling trees, whether it’s small or large. For the best part, you can attain full control even leaning in the wrong way.
The functional mechanism is rather easy with felling trees. Supporting the tree bunk/hole, the wedge prevents saw bounding, particularly in the compression zone. Most importantly, there are some well-established techniques to handle felling trees using chainsaw wedges.
For changing the direction, you have to follow the processes mentioned below.
Making Forward-Facing Notch
Before everything else, you’ll have to make a directional notch. The size should measure at least 1/3rd of the tree diameter. Its forward-facing reveals the intended direction of tree fall. And opening out at 70° will provide maximum control, minimizing the wedge compression.
Finding Required Wedge Number
With a larger tree diameter, the necessary wedge number also increases. In fact, all logging tasks require identification wedge type & size. Appropriate hinging of the tree trunk is almost compulsory to make this determination.
You’ll have to get the tree height, weighted leaning height & distance between leaned back from the hinged face. It’ll prevent possible scarring of trees while falling on the hinge sides.
In general, 2 wedges seem okay for most small & medium trees. Larger trees with big leaning may require 3 or 4 wedges for eventual tipping.
Getting Tree Segment Number
Tree segment is important to idealize the probable generation of single wedge lifting. For felling trees, it actually comes from the measurements taken right above. After converting into inches, the division of tree height by the distance will give the number.
It’s better to avoid using more than 2 wedges together to maintain safety. But sometimes, trees having exceptional learning can require more. Right there, you must not stack wedges on one another to address unequal compression.
Making Cuts for Tree Feeling
Following the aforementioned steps, the rest becomes quite simple & straightforward. From the leaning trunk side, you better start cutting towards the notch. You’ll have to maintain central alignment for the cutting point with the notch.
No need to cut any further when you’ll have sufficient space to fit the wedge without contacting chainsaw. Also, you’ll have to leave a reasonable space for the stump. This simultaneous action will hold the tree in its actual position.
Hammering Wedge in Position
You can use either a hammer or an ax to insert the wedge in its intended place. But you’ll have to go for another cut if the wedge gets flushed with the stump. While making the cuts, it’s important to preserve the hinge. Meanwhile, don’t cut down the tree entirely.
For the rest, you’ll have to choose between pounding & cutting. If a single wedge seems unsatisfactory, make overlaps using the 2nd/3rd wedge at 70° apart. There, the tree will fall on the other side upon cutting.
Another Useful Technique
The aforementioned process is quite applicable for trees having low to moderate leaning. But for heavily-leaning trees, you’ll have to think otherwise. It concerns a slightly different technique than the above one.
- This method is quite simple which starts with making a shallower notch. On the sides of forward-leaning, the notch size should measure 1/3 or 1/4 of tree diameter. With enough holding wood & hinge, you’ll have to bore out while holding the notch plane horizontally. But you’ll have to ensure the availability of sufficient wood & holding hinge.
- But sometimes it seems difficult to make even cuts on both sides. Then, you should take off your sawing gear from the pit, leaving the tree in its actual position. That’s’ where turning over the bore & cutting at the same height will ease the task. You’ll need to cut down the entire back to start pounding up the timber wedges.
The entire process of tree felling using wedges is one sensitive task. It’s quite troublesome & dangerous if proceeded improperly. That’s why you need to put more focus on avoiding accidental situations.
General Safety Tips
Whatever the circumstance is, you should never take the task of felling trees lightly. Though you have the best felling wedges, it’s still important to follow safety regulations. Even for qualified experts, the process occupies certain dangers from a falling tree.
- Get the Protective Wears: It’s simple – never foregoes the necessary safety gear. It includes closed shoes/boots, gloves, ear protection, long-sleeve shirt & full pants. Not to say, wearing a helmet & goggles are compulsory for the job.
- Have the Proper Equipment: When the targeted tree is pretty small in size, you can rely on the ax. But chopping down anything large will definitely require a suitable chainsaw. Before firing up the tool, check its teeth & other essential parts.
- Decide the Escape Routes: Whenever the tree starts to fall, it’s time for you to move out. It’s important for you to establish/determine two safe routes to fall back. Both paths should lie in the opposite direction to the falling tree.
- Stay Cautious while Cutting: The time your target starts to fall, it’s out of your control. Measure the tree & a safe direction where the tumbled tree will fall safely. Stay cautious to deal with any newly exposed diseased, dead, broken portion while making the cut.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a felling wedge?
Ans: Just like the chainsaw, wedge plays an integral part in tree felling & bucking. Wedges are more like a plate with varying thickness placed inside the cut portion. Not only does it help the tree to fall in the intended direction but it also prevents pinching chainsaw accessories.
Q: What size feeling wedge do I need?
Ans: It basically depends on the tree size & the critical intensity of directional falling. When the tree diameter lies within 18″, you may choose 7.5″ wedges. For a reasonably lower diameter, 5.5″ should do just fine. For larger sizes, you’ll have to go for 8″ or 10″ wedges.
Q: What side should I notch a tree?
Ans: There are three specific notch types – Open, Conventional & Humbolt. The first one definitely offers better accuracy keeping the hinge intact. Unlike the latter two, open-faced notch ensures further safety without any accidental out-of-control movement.
Q: What’s the difference between felling, bucking & splitting wedges?
Ans: Felling (winter/chainsaw) wedges are the longest & thickest ones. It determines the felling direction, preventing leaning forces & chainsaw pinching. Bucking (hanging/tie) wedges decrease binding with their short & thicker sizes. Splitting wedges are the heaviest ones strictly for splitting wood. The first two are of plastic/wood whereas the last one has a metal construction.
All the options reviewed above are at the forefront of customer preferences. Just you’ll have to determine your needs to make an exact match. No mistake about it, you have to get a suitable one in accordance with the job.
You know accurate measurements & tree dynamics come into effect with the right wedges. In fact, it’s one useful gear to take the experience on a whole new level. And the best felling wedges certainly ensure maximum output for your logging job.
See you around. Peace!
- Best Rope for Tree Swing [Exploring Options for 2020 and Beyond] - July 16, 2020
- 7 Best Rope for Pulling Trees (Aug. 2020) – Reviews & Buying Guide - July 16, 2020
- 7 Best Felling Wedges (May 2020) – Reviews & Buying Guide - May 8, 2020